Recipe Type: Entree
- 1 pound dry kidney beans
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large white or yellow onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and sliced into thin strips
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 celery stalks, roughly chopped
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 crushed bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon cajun seasoning
- 4 cups cups water
- 2 cups uncooked, rinsed quinoa or long grain white rice
- 2 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deviened
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- fine zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- Finely grated fresh parmesan cheese, about 4 tablespoons
Rinse beans, and then soak in a large pot of water overnight. In a skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Cook onion, bell pepper, garlic, and celery in olive oil for 3 to 4 minutes. Rinse beans, and transfer to a large pot with 3 cups water and 3 cups vegetable broth. Stir onion and bell pepper mixture into beans. Season with bay leaves, cayenne pepper, thyme, sage, parsley, and Cajun seasoning. Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, adding a little water or vegetable broth if needed.
Meanwhile, prepare the quinoa (or rice). In a saucepan, bring water and quinoa to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes. *If using rice, add 5 minutes of cooking time.
Toss shrimp with remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Heat grill pan or skillet over medium heat. Add shrimp and cook until just pink, about 3 minutes. Serve shrimp whole or chop into large pieces. Set aside.
To serve, place quinoa on serving plate and top with red beans and shrimp. Finish with a pinch of fresh thyme leaves, lemon zest, and freshly grated parmesan cheese (about 1/2 tablespoon). Serve warm.
- Healthy Weight Loss Recipes Spinach and Shrimp Salad (dominicspoweryoga.com)
- Healthy Weight Loss Recipe-Shrimp, Tofu and Broccoli Stir-fry (dominicspoweryoga.com)
- Healthy Weight Loss Recipes-Chicken Taco with Avocado Salsa (dominicspoweryoga.com)
- Quinoa Taco Salad (dominicspoweryoga.com)